[Opensim-dev] Mono 4.0 coming changes

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 30 01:42:46 UTC 2014

Can you run current OpenSimulator binaries under that Mono's CLR?  If so, then we can just build actual releases under
older versions of Mono for now.

Otherwise, the project's usual practice has to been to support the Mono currently shipping with the major Linux distros.
  So if absolutely necessary, for a while we may have to ship releases built under different mono versions.

As Oren said elsewhere, if you want to build OpenSimulator under this new mono it should be possible with a switch.
Looking on the internet suggests

xbuild /tv:12.0

(don't ask me why this is 12.0 instead of 4.5, maybe it is 4.5 by now).

On 27/12/14 05:08, Michael Emory Cerquoni wrote:
> I just wanted to give a very early heads up about upcoming mono changes that have already occurred in the github version
> of mono master, they have removed the .net 4.0 profile and OpenSimulator is no longer able to be compiled against master
> mono and of course this will effect the next release of mono 4.x.  I do not really know how we proceed at this point, I
> am sure it is to early to make any kind of logical decision but the fact remains that .net 4.0 profile is going away and
> we need to at some point be able to accommodate this if we are to support the latest mono fixes and performance
> enhancements that will be coming down the pipeline as a result of Microsoft open sourcing .net core for use in Mono.
> Ideas and thoughts are welcome!
>
> --
> Michael Emory Cerquoni

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)