[Opensim-dev] dispatcher interface

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 23 21:35:05 UTC 2014

On 21/12/14 06:36, Mic Bowman wrote:

> 2) example serialization -- there is an example in the document.
>
>     {
>          "$type": "Dispatcher.Messages.CreateCapabilityRequest",
>
>          "_AsyncRequest": false,
>          "_Capability": "a1b108dc-11aa-44cb-a971-760dbadef07c",
>          "_Domain": "Dispatcher",
>          "_Scene": "Test Region",
>          "DomainList": ["Dispatcher", "RemoteControl"],
>          "FirstName": "Test",
>          "LastName": "User",
>          "HashedPasswd": "99cafb4ff0e3a8a6708f3854b713b552",
>          "LifeSpan": 300,
>          "UserID": "16d0f788-2066-4b64-b248-ffa239f62240"
>     }

So, an issue here on any use over untrusted networks (i.e. the internet) may be continual sending of an MD5 password,
which for any common password will not be hard to crack.

That said, default login over http is currently worse.

In both cases, it should really be necessary, quite possibly mandatory, to use https though that involves setting up the
probably self-signed cert, etc.  I think Teravus implemented that for login but I have never got round to digging up the
details.

> 3) a new communication
>
> well... its never stopped us before. you forgot the stats interface, the remote administration interface, and the
> websocket interface. oh... and don't forget all the methods that LSL supports. i'm sure there are more.

That's true, but I don't think that's an argument for continuing to do it.  Do you think it's reasonable to always have
a hodge-podge of entirely different calling formats for different facilities where there is no technical reason for them
to be different?  I'm not saying dispatcher has to be changed but if it isn't then I think we should have some agreement
that this kind of approach should be used for future similar interfacing facilities, not something different every
single time.

> 4 there would only be C# in core. the only non-C# code is the client libraries which may or may not be distributed with
> core. they are not built or compiled as part of building or installing opensim. its more like distributing a bunch of
> assets for an avatar's library.
>
> all that being said... if we actually had a reasonable distribution mechanism we wouldn't be having this conversation
> because many (most) of the modules we package as optional modules should be loaded dynamically. something like PyIP or
> CPAN. but we don't have one of those.
>
> so my question is... what's the point of putting it in core at all if we going to require anyone who uses it to go
> digging for client libraries from some other site? while someone could generate their own json libraries, the effort of
> putting it in core is really not worth it for the *very* small number of people who will do that. on the other hand...
> if there are some useful commands already distributed with core (in a utility director or something), then we have added
> value.

I do appreciate your argument.  As Tommy mentioned, there is NuGet but I'm not sure how mature it is for Mono or even
stuff outside Visual Studio (which seems to be its main use).

I would regard anything in the OpenSimulator tar.gz as part of core.

To me, among the problems with bundling client libraries with OpenSimulator are

1) Which languages?  The last thing we need is a free-for-all.
2) Where do you stop?  OpenSimulator has a large surface.  I could put in all my code for interfacing with services, for
instance, where PHP made the most sense (ugh).  Why not then extend to stats analysis code (written in Python)?  Why not
then a web interface?
3) If someone wants to contribute then it has to be a core process and is very tied to OpenSimulator.  I would argue
this discourages reimplementation in other servers and raises the bar where this might not otherwise be necessary.
Indeed, I have received a request to separate out pCampbot so ppl can work on it without being part of core.  I don't
think this is unreasonable in the long run though it's non-trivial to do (it relies on opensim console stuff) and it
would have to be a decision agreed by core.

I'm not saying the kitchen sink approach is necessarily bad but I think either you do include a lot of stuff or very
little/none.  I still prefer external repositories for client code, I don't think it's so bad and forces the
documentation to be better.