[Opensim-dev] thinking about a viewer

Ilan Tochner ilan at kitely.com
Thu Aug 7 11:14:07 UTC 2014

Current SL viewer and TPVs are a technological dead end and they require
too much effort to make drastic changes to (even LL has stated this fact).
RealXtend started off trying to modernize a TPV and switched to doing a
complete rewrite once they understood how very time-inefficient it was to
try to do so. LL is now doing the same.

RealXtend is not a TPV, it is a project that has been written from scratch
with similar goals to the ones being discussed by people in this thread. It
was developed by multiple groups of professional game developers working
full time over the course of several years. It would take a similar amount
of time and effort to create a similar solution from scratch. It would be a
mistake to assume otherwise. Meantime we'd be stuck with TPVs that lack a
lot of the functionality OpenSim needs if its ever going to become relevant
to a mass market. During that time other projects, both proprietary and
open-source ones, will emerge and gain traction.

In other words, OpenSim's long-term relevance depends on having a viewer
that can attract a mass market and having that viewer become available
before well-funded projects, such as High Fidelity, gain significant
traction. OpenSim won't remain the only viable open-source virtual world
solution for much longer. Ignoring market forces and time-to-market is not
a good strategy. OpenSim's potential and existing user base will adopt a
different platform once people feel it answers their needs better. If we
want OpenSim to remain relevant we can't waste time rewriting viewers from
scratch.

The other alternative I suggested was joining forces with High Fidelity and
helping make that platform into the future metaverse foundation. If its not
about the codebase but rather about the goal of having an open-source based
metaverse then supporting one of the aforementioned two alternatives has a
higher chance of achieving our goals than spending time reimplementing
capabilities other open-source projects already have working.

Cheers,

Ilan Tochner
Co-Founder and CEO
Kitely Ltd.