[Opensim-dev] Negative z values

Jim Williams sphere1952 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:03:25 UTC 2014

May I suggest just publicizing the fact that Opensim has historically
allowed negative numbers and that there are no plans to make any changes to
this?  That is:  Do Nothing about it.

The one thing I am proposing is that we make no changes for Bullet's
benefit here.  If the Bullet developers don't want to deal with negative
terrain heights that is fine with me, but I don't think Opensim should be
changed to accommodate it.  Same with the viewers.  Either they work right
with negative heights or they do not.  It isn't a bug for Opensim to allow
negative heights, and it shouldn't disallow them -- other than taking note
of it I don't think there is anything to do here.

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM, David Saunders <abitar.com at gmail.com>wrote:

> The best way I can think of is to keep the default at 20m, but allow it to
> be set to zero. HAve the ability to to use negative numbers for height.
>
> 1> This will allow a standard of 20m with the current opensim.
> 2> Grid owners can decide if they want to change this default  ro say 0m.
> Or set up areas of regions that have it set, would look silly if one
> region was 20m and the other was 0m unless you make some kind of land
> transition
>
> but the hardest part would be i think is have itne clients work with
> negative numbers.  I remember back with the build ceilings that where built
> into the clients and how long that was removed :)
> It would also require OS code testing to find all those places where
> negative numbers are assumed does not exists.
>
> But leaving hte default water level to where it is now would make it more
> SL like for people coming over :)
> . .
>

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Dahlia Trimble <dahliatrimble at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Make zero sea level? Wouldn't that change the definition of zero for
>> everything else? Not sure that's a good idea... I'd think just enabling
>> negative zero would be a better choice.
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Mister Blue <misterblue at misterblue.com>wrote:
>>
>>> When I built BulletSim, I build for positive only altitudes because I
>>> thought that was the rule. The only implementation reason I see for not
>>> allowing negative terrain altitudes would be finding all the random places
>>> where code makes sign assumptions.
>>>
>>> If negative altitudes are needed, it would not be too hard to make it
>>> happen. I can see the geographically oriented people wanting zero to be sea
>>> level and allowing land to be above and below that.
>>>
>>> -- mb

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.