[Opensim-dev] Question about the udp receiver algorithm

Matt Lehmann mattlehma at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 02:45:20 UTC 2014

As of the last release, the algorithm for handling udp packets from clients
is as so...

   Start an async read cycle on the socket, adding packets  to a blocking
queue.
   Also start a smart thread which waits on the queue and services the
packets.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to use a single thread that waits on the
socket by looping on a socket.poll call,  immediately servicing packets?

I have tried this locally and I really think it would improve efficiency.
If you want I can submit a patch.

Thanks

Matt