[Opensim-dev] Negative z values

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:31:06 UTC 2014

At 01:30 25/04/2014, opensim-dev-request at opensimulator.org wrote:
>Hi folks.  Historically, whether by accident or design,
>OpenSimulator has allowed negative Z values for terrain, objects
>and avatars (e.g. <130, 50, -45>.  I have seen people use this
>facility to build fully underwater or partially
>underwater structures (e.g. oil rigs, sunken ships, etc.) which are
>conceptually far below the water line without having
>to set that water line at a level that may be way above that of
>surrounding regions.
>... Thoughts?

I did not know this was possible..  but I think it would be a very
useful thing to have since I have some entirely underwater based
regions (e.g. see Marineville in OSGrid) where I had to space te
region far away from other regions due to the different water
heights, and regions where I could use more underwater areas (such as
Vue-Rig in OSGrid

Does anyone have a terrain height image that sets the sea bed lower
than 0m and has a water height of the default 20m to act as the basis
for a test?

And if anyone has a nice simple test OAR where water level is 20m and
there are objects and terrain below 0m it would be useful to act as
the basis for experimentation.