No subject

Sat Apr 19 02:14:48 UTC 2014

evolution
of virtual worlds.  It is no surprise that most Opensim developers =
wish to
go beyond that first step, learning from past mistakes and finding =
better
models for the future.<br>
I mentioned earlier our work at the IETF on new VW protocols, in which =
LL are a
leading party --- see  <a =
href=3D"https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ogpx">https://www.ietf.org/=
mailman/listinfo/ogpx</a>
, the mailing list of the VWRAP working group.  What may surprise =
you is
that even Lindens know that the current SL is not a good model for the =
future,
which is why the protocols being discussed go far beyond their legacy
ones.  Indeed, Lindens will be facing a huge rewrite if this work =
bears
fruit.  When even Lindens don't wish their future to be constrained =
by the
current SL design because they know its many problems, this really =
highlights
how bad it would be for the Opensim team to do so. :-)<br>
I hope that one or more of these issues resonates with you, and makes it =
a bit
clearer why Opensim really cannot afford to align itself with SL.  =
There
is no future in looking backwards.<br>
Morgaine.<br>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<o:p></o:p></p>

href=3D"mailto:lenwbrown at gmail.com">lenwbrown at gmail.com</a>> =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

     I sympathize with you on many levels.  =
I've also
had my doubts regarding the future of OpenSim, but I have also =
maintained some
degree of faith that things will pull through in the end.<br>
     For me the shock came when I was abruptly =
informed
that "OpenSim is not Second Life, is not intended to be like Second =
Life,
nor ever will."  I still haven't the foggiest idea what this
developer had smoked for them to so strongly assert that incredibly =
false
statement.<br>
     For me, the enjoyment of OpenSim has come from =
my
intense devotion to building and skinning.  In fact, for the last =
few
months I've been working on a full region that has many hundreds of =
skins,
clothes, hair, furniture, etc, etc, that I'd like to package up as an =
OAR and
give out freely, since repeatedly I've been told that instead of giving =
money
to help further OpenSim I'd do more proactively by giving content.  =
So I
plan to do just that and give my money to other open source initiatives =
that
matter to me.<br>
     I have a passion for writing, and have thought =
many
times that one of the greatest powers OpenSim would gain is having =
simple,
straightforward, step-by-step instructions on how to download, compile,
install, administer and overall just plain operate the core =
applications.
What kills me is that everyone who does a search for OpenSim inevitably =
hits
the <a href=3D"http://opensimulator.org" =
target=3D"_blank">opensimulator.org</a>
site and that is where the massive roadblock presents itself.  It's
useless for most and irrelevant to the few who consider themselves =
OpenSim
experts.<br>
     Heck, even now on the configuration page it =
still
displays info for 0.6.6 including (months old) known bugs in setting up =
region
xml files.  If there was appointed a volunteer whose sole job was =
to keep
information on <a href=3D"http://opensimulator.org" =
target=3D"_blank">opensimulator.org</a>
relevant that one task would resolve a mountain of negativity right
there.  I sit here in front of my computers a good 10 to 12 hours a =
day.<br>
     I would sincerely love to contribute to the =
OpenSim
project, especially in documentation support.  But the thing =
holding me
back is communication.  If I cannot get a straight answer on who to =
GIVE
money to in order to help, then I stand little chance of getting clear,
straight answers from developers when asking about issues I need to =
consider
and incorporate in documentation.<br>
     If communication is a hurdle we can all =
overcome, with
a genuine and heart-felt effort to relay information, motives, and plans =
with
one another, then I'd sincerely appreciate having the opportunity to =
personally
contribute.  I'm not a programmer today, but have a degree in =
programming
fro the 90's (so much has changed my degree is practically useless in =
that
regard).  But I do know how to explain things and relay information =
in
simple terms.  But only if my own questions will be answered with =
more
than "look it up or figure it out yourself" as my answer.<br>
     If any of you would appreciate my help, feel =
free to
let me know at any time and I'll do what I can.<br>
- Len W. Brown<br>
target=3D"_blank">lenwbrown at gmail.com</a><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><o:p> </o:p></p>

<<a
href=3D"mailto:Colin.Withers at eumetsat.int" =
target=3D"_blank">Colin.Withers at eumetsat.int</a>>
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

I have decided to leave the Opensim project. You will probably not even =
notice
if I leave, as not being a programmer my only inputs were the writing of =
the
step-by-step tutorials ( <a =
href=3D"http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/"
target=3D"_blank">http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/</a> ), the =
drafts of
the OpenSim User Manual on the Forge, and helping out in the IRC =
channels, for
newcomers.<br>
You may find my reasons for leaving Opensim interesting though (and =
please do
not construe any of my reasons as an attack on anyone).<br>
1. The Platform<br>
I raised this several times in the past in IRC, and made posts on my =
blog about
the product lifecycle of the platform ( <a
href=3D"http://rock-vacirca.blogspot.com/2009/02/direction-of-virtual-wor=
lds.html"
target=3D"_blank">http://rock-vacirca.blogspot.com/2009/02/direction-of-v=
irtual-worlds.html</a>
). I believe that the platforms underpinning both Second Life and =
Opensim are
quite long in the tooth now, and I questioned how much product lifecycle =
there
was left, particularly given that Opensim is now nearing 3 years of
development, is still in Alpha, and if the current release of 0.6.7 is =
any
indicator, then still only around two thirds into the development cycle. =
With
the (inevitable) coming of much superior platforms, such as Blue Mars =
and (as a
virtual world); Unity, for browser-based Virtual Wolrds; and now UDK =
(for
creating sandboxes, standalones, and open grids), then I fear that =
Opensim has
missed the boat as far as the remaining lifecycle of the platform is =
concerned.
When you show people what is possible with these engines (for example =
this
avatar editor for the forthcom<br>
 ing APB (using the Unreal Engine): <a
href=3D"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DicR3LtEMvZI" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DicR3LtEMvZI</a>
or this city: <a href=3D"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhmLzNbPXMDg"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhmLzNbPXMDg</a> =
(using the
CryEngine), then neither SL not Opensim stands comparison.<br>
2. Lack of Support for Currency in Opensim<br>
I felt the impact of this when I first made the switch from SL to =
Opensim. I
had a thriving RP sim in SL (over 50 people, mainly female) and they all =
agreed
to follow me over to my Opensim and the OSGrid. However, within a month =
they
had all left, citing the same reason, the lack of places to shop, to buy =
the
quality stuff they wanted (skins, hair, clothes etc), as a quality =
appearance,
and the fun of shopping is what all the females placed high on their
requirements from a Virtual World. They drifted back to Second Life, and =
the
guys followed them. I have always believed that the lack of support for
currency in the core was a mistake, but that is just my opinion.<br>
3. Marketing<br>
I have also raised this issue several times, and blogged about it. It is =
far
from clear just who an eventually released Opensim is actually aimed at. =
think that any company that is interested in a firewalled corporate =
solution to
collaboration and prototyping will already be looking at the Enterprise
solution that is currently available from Second Life; that any indie =
group
that is thinking of running a themed grid will need an economy to stay =
viable;
and any individual who is looking for a private sandbox solution for =
their SL
work will need full compatibility (which is not the case with the OS =
version of
LSL diverging from the SL LSL). So, just who is the platform aimed at? I =
was
also very disappointed in the view of one of the core devs who said that
'marketing is a null concept for us'.<br>
I am currently designing and creating cities for Blue Mars, and involved =
in a
team for proving the UDK as a platform for the design and creation of =
Virtual
Worlds (as opposed to purely games), and with so much documentation =
available
for these mature engines (particularly for the UDK, Blue Mars lags =
behind
somewhat in that department, but have hired extra staff to put that =
right), I
am achieving the productivity I want, building the worlds that I want, =
with
stable crash-free platforms.<br>
However, I do wish the Opensim team the very best in their endeavours, =
and I
sincerely hope their goals are eventually achieved.<br>
If anyone would like to take over the Opensim Tutorials pages at <a
href=3D"http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/" =
target=3D"_blank">http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/</a>
and <a href=3D"http://chapter-and-metaverse2.blogspot.com/" =
target=3D"_blank">http://chapter-and-metaverse2.blogspot.com/</a>
(they will need some updating following several changes) then I am more =
than
willing to pass the posts over, and of course the Opensim User Manual is =
there
in the Forge for anyone to develop further.<br>
Best Regards and Good Luck<br>
Rock<br>
a><o:p></o:p></p>