No subject

Sat Apr 19 01:31:08 UTC 2014

mocracy.html#electorate
"The voting system itself should be used to choose new committers, both ful=
l and partial. But here is one of the rare instances where secrecy is appro=
priate. You can't have votes about potential committers posted to a public =
mailing list, because the candidate's feelings (and reputation) could be hu=
rt. Instead, the usual way is that an existing committer posts to a private=
 mailing list consisting only of the other committers, proposing that someo=
ne be granted commit access. The other committers speak their minds freely,=
 knowing the discussion is private. Often there will be no disagreement, an=
d therefore no vote necessary. After waiting a few days to make sure every =
committer has had a chance to respond, the proposer mails the candidate and=
 offers him commit access. If there is disagreement, discussion ensues as f=
or any other question, possibly resulting in a vote. For this process to be=
 open and frank, the mere fact that the discussion is taking place at all s=
hould be secret. If the person under consideration knew it was going on, an=
d then were never offered commit access, he could conclude that he had lost=
 the vote, and would likely feel hurt. Of course, if someone explicitly ask=
s for commit access, then there is no choice but to consider the proposal a=
nd explicitly accept or reject him. If the latter, then it should be done a=
s politely as possible, with a clear explanation: "We liked your patches, b=
ut haven't seen enough of them yet," or "We appreciate all your patches, bu=
t they required considerable adjustments before they could be applied, so w=
e don't feel comfortable giving you commit access yet. We hope that this wi=
ll change over time, though." Remember, what you're saying could come as a =
blow, depending on the person's level of confidence. Try to see it from the=
ir point of view as you write the mail."
---

I personally suggest reading that whole chapter (#4) for reasons why a lot =
of projects have a committers mailing list (and yes it is a standard practi=
ce.)

Adam