No subject

Sat Apr 19 01:31:08 UTC 2014

correct?

http://www.adamfrisby.com/blog/category/technical/idealist/

Adam, what is the status of Xenki?  Is Xenki development now being
abandoned? (now that "Rei" viewer is OpenSource?)

With all these various OpenSource Viewers/Browsers out there, would it be
possible to work on some form of cross-platform compatibility or
"standardization" between the various viewers and the various server
platforms (OpenSim Core, OpenSim + ModRex, and 3Di?)

            Mark

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au> wrote=
:

>  TribalServer fell into disrepair I believe, but MW & LBSA donated their
> unique features into a Forge project at least 6 months ago. (look for
> =91Tribal=92 in the projects list).
>

> 3Di is just OpenSim + a support contract + some extra modules for the 3D
> models and analytics. I believe 3Di runs fairly close to OpenSim releases=
,
> and they do donate code back to core which indicates they would have to b=
e.

> RealXtend was probably the only really =91fork fork=92 where the goal was=
 to do
> some things differently; but that got merged back last November, and now =
you
> can run ModRex with OpenSim-trunk. (although sometimes compatibility issu=
es
> with the module do appear on new features, eg megaregions)
>

> So, I don=92t think there are any major forks anymore =96 3Di would be it=
 if
> anything, and they aren=92t that much of one.
>

> Adam

Are
> [...]
> ModRex, and the native OpenSim Core.
>

> Just so people can see what features each of the various servers (such as
> 3Di Enterprise Server, or Tribal Media Server, or ModRex) has.  They all
> seem to be OpenSim-based.  I understand RealXtend is now "ModRex" (as an
> OpenSim module) but it used to be an OpenSim fork.
>

> It would just be nice to know what features are in 3Di Enterprise Server,
> and Tribal Media Server.  (and maybe see a nice comparison chart on the w=
iki
> page showing each of the features between each of the various OpenSim-bas=
ed
> servers).
>

> Ultimately, I'd really love to see some of the work from 3Di and Tribal
> Media contributed back (as OpenSource) to the OpenSim Community (as open
> source modules for the OpenSim core), just as RealXtend has done (with
> ModRex).
>

>                Mark
>

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM, <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:
>
> What opensim forks are you talking about? I don't know of any, so please
> point me to one.
>

> Mark Malewski wrote:
> > */
>
> > Adam,
> >
> >  > /**/=85 then if we can get someone to adjust the full viewer, we=92d=
 have
> /*
> > */> somewhat of a standard on our hands./*
> >
> > See, now that's what I'm talking about!  Me "likey" the idea of
> > standards!  ;-)
> >
> > I'd really like to see some form standardization, so that viewers can
> > work on each of the various platforms.  In a perfect world, I'd really
> > like to see some of these technologies that 3Di and Tribal Media
> > are/were working on, slowly come back to the OpenSim Community as
> > OpenSource Modules (similar to the RealXtend/ModRex module).
> >
> > That way we just have ONE single OpenSim core distribution, and then
> > have various modules (like "ModRex" or a "3Di" module, or a
> > "Tribal_Media" module) that can be installed on top of OpenSim core?
> >
> > This would seem to make MUCH more sense, instead of all the various
> > forks out there.  I really do like the idea of "standardization", and
> > would really like to see Modules created instead of completely differen=
> > OpenSim "forks".
> >
> > Then it would be great to see the Viewers designed so that all the
> > various viewers will work with all the different platform modules
> > (ModRex, 3Di, Tribal Media Server, etc.)
> >
> >             Mark
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au
>
> > <mailto:adam at deepthink.com.au>> wrote:
> >
> >     It works with vanilla but from my understanding not ModRex; the
> >     meshes are handled as Irrlicht meshes if I understand correctly.
> >     Synchronising these mesh standards (in both rex & 3diov) might be a
> >     good idea methinks.
> >

> >     =85 then if we can get someone to adjust the full viewer, we=92d ha=

--001485f794ccd7a9630474d00e1a

le=3D"font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); "><i><b>> So, I don=92t =
i=A0would be it if anything, and they aren=92t that much of one.</b></i></s=
s hard keeping track of everything that was going on out there, and I still=
 wasn't exactly sure what 3Di was working on (or if it was getting cont=
ributed back to OpenSim Core, or as a separate OpenSim module). =A0I did kn=
ow they were working on an "OpenViewer" (which I'm guessing h=
as been renamed to "Rei" viewer?) =A0I'm still not quite sure=
 as to all the specifics of 3Di Server's features.<div>
ont-size: 11pt; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); ">>TribalServer fell into disre=
pair I believe, but MW & LBSA</span></p>
their unique features into a Forge project at least 6 >months ago. (look=
ok around. =A0It really would be nice to try and get as many of these great=
 things/features updated and integrated into Core (or as OpenSim modules) I=
'm still not quite sure what features 3Di's Enterprise server has.<=
/div>
alk to? =A0Do they have any plans to "OpenSource" their work (and=
quot;standardization" among the various groups, so that the Viewers/Br=
owsers (Hippo, Naali, and Rei) will at least be cross-platform and support =
OpenSim Core, RealXtend/ModRex, and 3Di.</div>
ttp://www.adamfrisby.com/blog/category/technical/idealist/">http://www.adam=
frisby.com/blog/category/technical/idealist/</a></div>
ent now being abandoned? (now that "Rei" viewer is OpenSource?) =
sers out there, would it be possible to work on some form of cross-platform=
 compatibility or "standardization" between the various viewers a=
nd the various server platforms (OpenSim Core, OpenSim + ModRex, and 3Di?)<=
/div>
am <span dir=3D"ltr"><<a href=3D"mailto:adam at deepthink.com.au">adam at deep=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

srepair I believe, but MW & LBSA
donated their unique features into a Forge project at least 6 months ago. (=
look
for =91Tribal=92 in the projects list).</span></p>

upport contract + some extra modules
for the 3D models and analytics. I believe 3Di runs fairly close to OpenSim
releases, and they do donate code back to core which indicates they would h=
ave
to be.</span></p>

e only really =91fork fork=92 where the goal
was to do some things differently; but that got merged back last November, =
and
now you can run ModRex with OpenSim-trunk. (although sometimes compatibilit=
issues with the module do appear on new features, eg megaregions)</span></p=

 are any major forks anymore =96 3Di would
be it if anything, and they aren=92t that much of one.</span></p>

4.0pt">

0cm 0cm">

 lang=3D"EN-US" style=3D"font-size:10.0pt"> <a href=3D"mailto:opensim-dev-b=
ounces at lists.berlios.de" target=3D"_blank">opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlio=
s.de</a>
[mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de" target=3D"_=
alewski<br>
metaverseink.com</a>; <a href=3D"mailto:Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de" targe=
v class=3D"h5">
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Opensim-dev] [realXtend] Re: 3Di Viewer "Rei&quot=
;

forks floating around out there.</p>

sim.com/en/</a></p>

t/3di_to_sell_opensim_server_software/" target=3D"_blank">http://virtualeco=
nomicforum.com/content-library/blogging/about/3di_to_sell_opensim_server_so=
ftware/</a></p>

=A0I believe "Tribal Media Server" (or Tribal Net) and "3Di
Server" and RealXtend/ModRex were all forks based on the original Open=
Sim
core?</p>

fork, and RealXtend has now integrated their work back into OpenSim as a mo=
dule
(ModRex). =A0I believe Adam Frisby helped with converting RealXtend into a
"ModRex" module, but what about "3Di Server" and
"Tribal Media Server"? =A0Are those not separate OpenSim-based
forks?=A0</p>

"forks" uses different technologies (realXtend/ModRex supports
Ogre3D, and 3Di Server supports Irrlicht, etc.) =A0I'm not quite sure w=
hat
Tribal Media Server is (but it seems to have been OpenSim-based fork as wel=
that seemed to have a nice Admin Control panel).</p>

Net" was the name of Tribal Media's Server. =A0I believe it was a =
fork
off of the original OpenSim core as well.</p>

game-with-opensim/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.ugotrade.com/2008/05/14/tr=
ibal-media-changing-the-game-with-opensim/</a></p>

nice Admin Control Panel, and an easy way to get Tribal Sim servers online.=

"Irrlicht" 3D rendering engine. =A0(ModRex/RealXtend support
Ogre3d rendering engine).</p>

various different server forks, but I know much of RealXtend's work has=
 been
integrated back into OpenSim (as a ModRex module), but 3Di and Tribal Media
servers (as far as I know) are not OpenSource, and have not had their work =
put
back into OpenSim.</p>

between all the various server forks, but it would be nice to create a wiki
page, showing a nice comparison chart between Tribal Media Server, 3Di
Enterprise Server, ModRex, and the native OpenSim Core.</p>

servers (such as 3Di Enterprise Server, or Tribal Media Server, or ModRex) =
has.
=A0They all seem to be OpenSim-based. =A0I understand RealXtend is now
"ModRex" (as an OpenSim module) but it used to be an OpenSim fork=
.</p>

Enterprise Server, and Tribal Media Server. =A0(and maybe see a nice
comparison chart on the wiki page showing each of the features between each=
 of
the various OpenSim-based servers).</p>

and Tribal Media contributed back (as OpenSource) to the OpenSim Community =
(as
open source modules for the OpenSim core), just as RealXtend has done (with
ModRex).</p>

k.com" target=3D"_blank">diva at metaverseink.com</a>> wrote:</p>

any, so please<br>
point me to one.<br>
Mark Malewski wrote:<br>
> */</p>

> =A0> /**/=85 then if we can get someone to adjust the full viewer,
we=92d have /*<br>
> */> somewhat of a standard on our hands./*<br>
> See, now that's what I'm talking about! =A0Me "likey&quot=
; the
idea of<br>
> standards! =A0;-)<br>
> I'd really like to see some form standardization, so that viewers =
can<br>
> work on each of the various platforms. =A0In a perfect world, I'd
really<br>
> like to see some of these technologies that 3Di and Tribal Media<br>
> are/were working on, slowly come back to the OpenSim Community as<br>
> OpenSource Modules (similar to the RealXtend/ModRex module).<br>
> That way we just have ONE single OpenSim core distribution, and then<b=
r>
> have various modules (like "ModRex" or a "3Di" mod=
ule,
or a<br>
> "Tribal_Media" module) that can be installed on top of OpenS=
im
core?<br>
> This would seem to make MUCH more sense, instead of all the various<br=
>
> forks out there. =A0I really do like the idea of
"standardization", and<br>
> would really like to see Modules created instead of completely differe=
nt<br>
> OpenSim "forks".<br>
> Then it would be great to see the Viewers designed so that all the<br>
> various viewers will work with all the different platform modules<br>
> (ModRex, 3Di, Tribal Media Server, etc.)<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Mark<br>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Frisby, Adam <<a href=3D"mailto:a=
dam at deepthink.com.au" target=3D"_blank">adam at deepthink.com.au</a></p>

k">adam at deepthink.com.au</a>>>
wrote:<br>
> =A0 =A0 It works with vanilla but from my understanding not ModRex;
the<br>
> =A0 =A0 meshes are handled as Irrlicht meshes if I understand
correctly.<br>
> =A0 =A0 Synchronising these mesh standards (in both rex & 3diov)
might be a<br>
> =A0 =A0 good idea methinks.<br>
> =A0 =A0 =85 then if we can get someone to adjust the full viewer, we=
=92d
have<br>
" target=3D"_blank">opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de</a><br>
> =A0 =A0 <mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios=
.de" target=3D"_blank">opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de</a>><br>
> =A0 =A0 [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de=
" target=3D"_blank">opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de</a><br>
> =A0 =A0 <mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios=
.de" target=3D"_blank">opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de</a>>]
*On Behalf Of *Mark<br>
_blank">realxtend at googlegroups.com</a></p>

rget=3D"_blank">realxtend at googlegroups.com</a>>; <a href=3D"mailto:Opens=
im-dev at lists.berlios.de" target=3D"_blank">Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de</a>=
> =A0 =A0 <mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de" tar=
get=3D"_blank">Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de</a>></p>

Re: 3Di Viewer "Rei" goes<br>
> =A0 =A0 open source (BSD licensed in-browser viewer)<br>
> =A0 =A0 Nlin,<br>
> =A0 =A0 Does the "Rei" Viewer work with the OpenSim +
ModRex (RealXtend) as<br>
lto:anuranjanm at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">anuranjanm at gmail.com</a></p>

=3D"_blank">anuranjanm at gmail.com</a>>> wrote:<br>
i at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">mark.malewski at gmail.com</a></p>

t=3D"_blank">mark.malewski at gmail.com</a>>>
wrote:<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 RealXtend,<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Have any of the RealXtend core developer's had
a chance to look<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 at this OpenSource "Rei" viewer yet?<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 It seems to be an OpenSource web-based viewer.
=A0It looks pretty<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 cool. =A0Would this OpenSource contribution
help RealXtend's<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Viewer project in any way? =A0Could this
viewer be easily modified<br>

et=3D"_blank">mark.malewski at gmail.com</a> <mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:mark=
.malewski at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">mark.malewski at gmail.com</a>>>
wrote:<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Nlin,<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Thank-you very much for the post, that seems
like an excellent<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 contribution to the OpenSim Community!<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I'm wondering what type of effect this might
have on RealXtend's<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 project development of a new viewer?<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Will this "Rei" viewer work with the
latest stock OpenSim server?<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
=A0 =A0 Mark<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM, nlin <<a href=3D"m=
ailto:nlin.message at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nlin.message at gmail.com</a><=
/p>

" target=3D"_blank">nlin.message at gmail.com</a>>> wrote:<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Hello,<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Today 3Di's in-browser viewer
source code has been opened<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 up, as the project 3Di Viewer
"Rei". The license is BSD.<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Please have a look if you are
interested!<br>

page: <a href=3D"http://3di-rei.org" target=3D"_blank">http://3di-rei.org</=
a> <<a href=3D"http://3di-rei.org/" target=3D"_blank">http://3di-rei.org=
/</a>></p>

release: <a href=3D"http://3di.jp/en/news/2009093001.html" target=3D"_blank=
">http://3di.jp/en/news/2009093001.html</a><br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 We're very interested in further
development of this open<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 source viewer with the
community. Thanks to the<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 IdealistViewer developers, as
portions of Rei use source<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 code from an early version of
IdealistViewer. Rei uses no<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 code from GPL-licensed viewers.<br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 The Rei source code is in git at
github, with the main<br>
i/3di-viewer-rei" target=3D"_blank">http://github.com/3di/3di-viewer-rei</a=
arget=3D"_blank">http://groups.google.com/group/realxtend</a><br>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 <a href=3D"http://www.realxtend.org" target=3D"_blank"=