[Opensim-dev] PostgreSQL data module for OpenSim

Shy Robbiani shy.robbiani at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 14:25:40 UTC 2013

Interesting. I'll give it a try on my test sims and watch memory
consumption as memory limitations are often an issue for some virtual
server installs. And yes, it's always good to have options. I'm glad to see
it in the git master :)

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Fernando Francisco de Oliveira <
fernando at oliveira.eti.br> wrote:

>  my intention with the project was to add new features and not replace
> them.
> With a database like postgresql, we can cover more users, and many of them
> in the corporate environment.
> Database migration is an option, and I'm working on a tool to cover who
> want to do it.
>
> I saw some advantages using postgresql, but it's necessary to do more
> benchmarks to see how its behavior under pressure.
> This was a little test :
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iPjAItQPNQCUagROLogf6GZH3NdPE_Wtn2KtAIhYwyE/edit?usp=sharingless
>

>  Fernando Oliveira
> http://oliveira.eti.br
>
> http://twitter.com/oliveira_lands
>

> 2013/10/12 Shy Robbiani <shy.robbiani at gmail.com>
>
>> What are the advantages of of using PostgreSQL for Opensim in comparison
>> to mysql? Perfomance? Memory usage? Anything else? As far as I know, both
>> have improved over the years and for me, as an average user and not a
>> database guru, they are about the same. In other words, why should I switch
>> if I have everything in place with MySQL?
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Fernando Francisco de Oliveira <
>> fernando at oliveira.eti.br> wrote:
>>
>>> I hope so. I want to see it in production soon. cant wait to compile it
>>> from oficial repository :)
>>>
>>> I'm working on the database migration tool, and it is almost done.
>>> (mysql to postgresql) or any direction (even sqlite to postgres), mssql to
>>> postgres.
>>> as prototype its fixed to mysql to postgres, but adding the database
>>> plugin, like opensim itself, it can be done only configuring the INI file.
>>>
>>> like this:
>>>  [Setup]
>>> Databases = myopensim,osmyothersim
>>>
>>> [DatabaseOrigin]
>>> StorageProvider = OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll
>>> ConnectionString = "Data Source=localhost;User ID=root;Password=***;Old
>>> Guids=true;Database="
>>>
>>> [DatabaseTarget]
>>> StorageProvider = OpenSim.Data.PGSQL.dll
>>> ConnectionString = "User