[Opensim-dev] Raise minimum .net framework version to 4.0 and mono version to 2.8 (with 2.10 strongly recommended) in 2Q2013

Ilan Tochner ilan at kitely.com
Tue Jan 29 22:58:43 UTC 2013

It's been a while but yes, I have worked in a multinational corporate
environment. This entire discussion isn't relevant for Windows or Mac
users, who can easily install an updated version of Mono if they can
install an updated version of OpenSim, so we're already dealing with a
small subset of users who use Linux desktops or have access to a Linux
server. If someone is capable of manually downloading and installing
OpenSim on a Linux machine (by themselves or using the IT department) then
that person can just as easily download and install the required Mono
version (I assume anyone capable of installing OpenSim is capable of using
Google to search for a precompiled 2-year old version of Mono for their
particular Linux setup). Is there really someone who has the required
privileges and technical know how to install OpenSim, a database, set up
ports, etc. without being able to install an additional Mono version on the
same machine as well?

This isn't a philosophical question it's a question of the number of people
who will be affected by whichever option we choose to pursue. I feel we're
trying to cater to the needs of hypothetical developers and content
creators that run Linux and are able to download, form an external website,
and install a software component that isn't in their distro repository
(OpenSim) but yet aren't able to download another software component that
isn't in their disto repository (Mono) but that can just as easily be found
on another website (there are even copies on .edu sites).

Cheers,

Ilan Tochner
Co-Founder and CEO
Kitely Ltd.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Dahlia Trimble <dahliatrimble at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> It's not that we're preventing anyone from using the existing OpenSim
>> version. We're just saying that if you want to use the latest version on
>> Linux you need to have Mono 2.10 or later installed. If it doesn't come
>> with your distro then search for a third-party site that provides it and
>> download it from there. People who can't be bothered to doing either one of
>> those things can continue using the existing OpenSim version.
>>
>> Again, let's focus on advancing OpenSim and not on saving some sysadmins
>> the few hours it will take them to install and setup Mono and/or a new
>> Linux distro on their server(s).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ilan Tochner
>> Co-Founder and CEO
>> Kitely Ltd.
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Mike Chase <
>> mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious.  Call me crazy and stuff but why are you worrying about
>>> ancient distros with LTS for cases where upgrades to Mono are clearly
>>> available.  And this is to support software that is perpetually alpha?
>>>  So
>>> you are concerned about adopting .NET 4.0 features because someone might
>>> be
>>> running an ancient version of debian or Ubuntu presumably in some
>>> production
>>> scenarios using software you've branded as Alpha.
>>>
>>> Why don't we call OpenSim what it is.  A research project.   People have
>>> taken and with considerable effort doe some hardening to that sufficient
>>> run a production grid.  But it is what it is.
>>>
>>> And sorry Justin I don't meant to jump on you. You're a good guy.  You
>>> have
>>> to deal with the other members of a board drawing lines in the sand left
>>> and
>>> right that suit themselves and their own business interests.  Sorry
>>> Melanie,
>>> the "it's never gonna happen" comments are so out of place for a board
>>> member of an open public project.  Really you have no business being in
>>> the
>>> position you are. But that's what it is as well.
>>>
>>> Ok enough ranting.  If you feel that upgrading to the 4.0 .NET apis would
>>> benefit OpenSim as a whole (I do) then do it.  Deciding what versions of
>>> mono to use and what distribution to use it on are deployment
>>> considerations
>>> that someone should be considering carefully based on what they want to
>>> use
>>> the software for.  And if they are trying to run anything close to a
>>> production service then they need to be aware of the issues involved in
>>> the
>>> various versions of mono and make their choice based on that.
>>>
>>> I doubt I get a vote but if I did I'd vote to advance the API version of
>>> .NET and pick up the new features therein.  Document the dependencies and
>>> let people doing deployment sort out the environment that best meets

>>> them.  However, I also think this would be a marginal decision so I

>>> http://twitter.com/justincc