[Opensim-dev] Raise minimum .net framework version to 4.0 and mono version to 2.8 (with 2.10 strongly recommended) in 2Q2013

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:29:56 UTC 2013

Not all of the users of OpenSimulator are sysadmins. Have you ever worked
in a corporate environment? Often the computers that people use are managed
by a central IT department and deviating from the long-term supported IT
mandated solution is not allowed. Similar situations exist in education.
OpenSimulator is not necessarily designed for the sole benefit of a few
for-profit grids, in fact, much of the code base has been contributed by
people who use *and develop* it in such restricted environments. This is
true for content development as well.

Likewise, not all of the contributors have a large R&D budget. For some,
upgrading to the latest and greatest is not an option, in fact, it could
disable other applications they need to use a shared computer for. Some of
these users have contributed major functionality to the code base. As
stewards of the code base, we need to keep the needs of *all* users in
mind. These are some of the reasons these traditions exist.