[Opensim-dev] IRegisterInterface for extending scene entities

Adams, Robert robert.adams at intel.com
Fri Jan 4 21:22:19 UTC 2013

I think adding a module allowing scripts to attach dynamic variables to SOPs is the right level of functionality. Just adding a key/value store is way too low a level.

For instance, the JSONStore module (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/JsonStore_Module) creates a dynamic variable storage to share between scripts. Since it's made for sharing, a script can request events when values are updated. The module adds, as one piece, functionality for extension and communication between scripts.

Does this attribute store enable such? Would a script want to know when one of the key/value pairs changed? Is polling suitable? Does the usage case just need static variable addition?

As to the practical, implementation angle, yes, you are correct that adding an OSD store on a scene object is simpler. This is an open source project, after all, so this is just my opinion.

-- ra