[Opensim-dev] Diva Groups and Offline IM

John Sheridan john at pseudospace.net
Sun Feb 17 01:54:00 UTC 2013

I'm just theorizing here, but I would think that common components
required for interoperability between grids would need to go into the
core.  Just recently I finished writing my own offline IM handler in c#
only to realize it didn't save messages that came in from over the
hypergrid.  I've yet to dig in to see why, but after pouring over
different examples on how to get profiles working I'm quickly realizing
that there is a need for a common way for all of these services to
communicate.

Its one thing to have your own proprietary communications formats if
you're running a closed grid, but in the case where your components need
to talk to other people's  - that seems to be a different story.  For
example, with my profiles module I wanted to create a set of data
objects (psProfile, psProfilePick, psProfileClassifieds, etc.),
serialize them on the sim end, then ship them off to the profiles server
and vice versa.  After seeing how other projects out there communicate
with their server counterparts, it became blatantly apparent that my way
would work just fine if it were used on a closed grid but not in a
Hypergridded environment where it would need to talk to countless other
profile servers that all likely communicate in different ways.  I'm
pretty sure the same would hold true for offline messaging, groups, and
so on.