[Opensim-dev] Documentation for IClientNetworkServer

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 19:55:19 UTC 2013

Actually the 2nd link is for libopenmetaverse, the library which implements
the Second Life protocol. It's used in OpenSimulator for generating the UDP
packets and other messages which allow communications with the various
viewers. The wiki often has information which cannot be found in the Second
Life wiki, and the code is quite well structured and complete and contains
a good understanding of the protocol.

Good luck with your protocol. I've designed a couple alternative protocols
and I found it to be quite challenging; there are many "gotchas" lurking
around. I've also implemented alternative protocols both as IClientAPI
modules and as region modules, and I found region modules to be a better
place for experimenting as the IClientApi interface is constantly changing
and it's difficult to keep private modules in sync with core. Region module
interfaces are much more simple and stable, and you really only need to ask
for events that you care about thru EventManager. If you want to
instantiate avatars, the NPC facilities can be invoked from region modules
as well.