[Opensim-dev] How do I get runprebuild.sh to put references to the dll's I need in the build file for OptionalModules?

Argus argus at archimuh.de
Sat Sep 8 16:44:24 UTC 2012

Am 08.09.2012 15:52, schrieb Edmund Edgar:
> On 8 September 2012 20:53, James Hughes <jamesh at bluewallgroup.com> wrote:
>> Edmund, Have a look at http://bluewallvirtual.com/example_region_module.
> Thanks. I've got the thing building and running properly as an addon
> now, but I didn't fully understand everything I was doing so I'll take
> a look through your example and see if there's anything I should fix.
>
> Relatedly, now it's an add-on and it's making its own .dll, can people
> who want to use my module (if anybody does) just install my compiled
> .dll rather than building everything from source? I guess I'd need to
> build different versions for different OpenSim versions?

Yes, you can pass on the dll file to anyone, they just need to add the
file to their /bin folder.

You do not need to repuild your file with every new OpenSim version made
available. Once in a while there are modifications in OpenSim which will
require your module to also be updated due to function changes (eg
renaming or parameter changes). Only then you will have to update your
module and pass on the new dll file. I have several projects which also
only pass on closed sourced dll's, and untill now there was only 1
update needed in over a year.

Depending on your module it will also be neccessary to compile in .net
and mono enviroments, even for diffrent net/mono versions.