[Opensim-dev] Multi-region OAR format

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 21:37:26 UTC 2012

Robert, I feel that load and save of multiple files simultaneously would be too fragile.  And as Oren said, it ends up
wasting a lot of space and some processing time for data that is held in common between regions (e.g. assets).

I like this proposal, Oren.  I should have put regions in separate directories originally but it's easy to say that in
hindsight.  One thing to watch out for is that OpenSimulator has an option to register multiple regions with the same
name, though I suspect that's not a good idea in many contexts and I can't say for sure whether the option even works.
So you may have to uniquify region folders with their UUID or similar.

I would also prefer to see regions within a separate regions/ top level folder, e.g. regions/region1, regions/region2, etc.

In the long term I would like to see all OARs to be saved with region directories, including single regions.  However,
in the interests of forward compatibility for existing OpenSimulator releases I think it is a good idea to save single
regions in the existing structure, with the multi-region structure only being used with the --all flag.  In a few
releases time the new format can become the default and the old format only saved with an explicit flag.  Or perhaps one
could call the new structure .moar (I half kid).

Something I might consider is whether the locations of other directories (e.g. assets) could be specified within the oar
itself instead of with constants such as ArchiveConstants.ASSETS_PATH, though I don't know if that would help much in
this case.  Or try and think about ways to make oar/iar loading more liberal in what it accepts (following Postel's
law).  We used to have the same problem with XML loading where only one order of elements would be accepted but I think
that has been pretty much eradicated.

On 20/07/12 16:01, Adams, Robert wrote:
> I’m not sure I see the advantage of multiple regions in one oar file. Say I have a 3x3 set of regions saved in a backup
> oar file. I might want to restore one. That necessitates new command line parameters for selection, etc.
>
> To handle multiple regions, another approach is to push the grouping up a level and add commands for loading and
> creating multiple oar files with one command. That keeps the existing oar file format but solve the grouping feature. Or
> how about if the target of a ‘load oar’ is a directory, it loads all of the oar files therein?
>
> -- ra

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog
http://twitter.com/justincc