[Opensim-dev] Create user and spaces in the first and last names

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:50:44 UTC 2012

Hi Stanley.  OpenSimulator will allow you to have both apostrophe (') and hyphen (-) in a name and from a quick test
viewer 3 appears fine with both as well (indeed, I've been using my full last name in OpenSimulator with no issues for
years).

Space is much trickier.  OpenSimulator will allow you to do "create user" on the robust console with a space by
surrounding it with double quotes ("), e.g.

# create user Bob "The Builder"

But v3, at least, won't process the name properly to login.

As Argus says, quite possibly multiple spaces could be included in display names [1], though I'm not super-familiar with
these.  Unfortunately, these are not currently implemented in OpenSimulator and the implementation would take a
considerable amount of work.

It also looks like display names would require a webpage profile implementation for version 3 viewers in order to allow
it to be changed.  I know BlueWall is doing some work on this but I expect that would still be a multi-multi-month
project in order to both construct the necessary web code, tie it back into OpenSimulator, change viewer code to allow
an alternative profile location (which also ties you into a subset of viewers) and sort out the require authorization
system for simulator to profile comms.  Having said that, one could also tie in a different external way to change
display names (possibly even just a service console command though that's the most manual way short of direct db change).

In other words, it's a surprisingly big project.  Unfortunately, I can't help right now as all my consulting time is
being taken up by an existing client.

[1] http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Usernames-and-display-names/ta-p/700173#Section_.2

Regards,

Justin Clark-Casey