[Opensim-dev] TimerEvent to slow, do/while faster.

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:31:40 UTC 2012

If you want to increase timer resolution the current thing to do would be to change

cmdHandlerThreadCycleSleepms = 100;

in AsyncCommandManager.ReadConfig().  It appears that configurability was disabled almost 4 years ago for reasons unknown.

The fact that it's 100 means that you can never get timers that fire less than 100ms apart.  Moreover, timers are tied
into the general AsyncCommandManager.DoOneCmdHandlerPass(), which performs operations for listeners, sensors and
dataserver events as well as timers.  So the resolution will be even less accurate.  At some point I think it may be
good to do some of these in separate threads to reduce the variability of performance.

However, even if these issues were to go away, the timer events would still have to be fired through the event
mechanism.  I'm not sure how efficient firing lots of timers is, or what impact it would have on other scripts in the
region.