[Opensim-dev] OpenSim's direction after Linden cutting support, and the possibility of an official OpenSim viewer

Mircea Kitsune mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:49:57 UTC 2012

@ robert.adams: I wouldn't want to see such a thing happening (a viewer split into multiple applications). Using multiple programs for each task would probably ruin the entire purpose of virtual worlds and the best feature of SL... which is being able to build, explore, chat, and do everything from the world. There's already enough need of external editors to make content in SL... like Photoshop / GIMP for textures, Audition / Audacity for sounds, Blender / 3DsMax for meshes, etc (unless you find them on the internet). I hope that doesn't change personally... a segmented viewer would be nice to see for curiosity, but I hope it wouldn't become an OpenSim default.

@ toni at playsign.net: It's nice to hear that RealXtend is still alive! I haven't checked it out for a while, but last time I did things were pretty awesome. Main issue for me is that the RealXtend viewer was based on a very old viewer 1 fork (compared to this day), and I couldn't imagine using anything SL without the v3 features. I might try it out again if the viewer could be re-based on viewer 3 and have its GUI, the post-processing and visual effects, HTML on prim surfaces, etc. I assume RealXtend has its own mesh support system still so it might not port the one Linden added. Even if not though, it's a good project and I wish you luck as always :)