[Opensim-dev] Considerations regarding long term development

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 23 02:09:07 UTC 2011

I think that having a native ROBUST groups service would be a good idea, since it is a very common components.  However,
I don't have the time to do this myself.  Patches are very welcome.

I also think the approach of having all services run in a single Apache instance is also very good.  Apache/PHP would
almost certainly be vastly more efficient than the current native C# http server code that ROBUST has to use.  However,
this is another significant undertaking but it could be performed as a separate project.  People have done this kind of
thing in the past but I'm not sure if any of those projects are up to date.

As Toni said, there's nothing stopping people creating their own distro of OpenSim with various components added.  The
whole virtual environment space is immensely complicated with many different configurations and approaches, so I don't
think that one project could cover them all at this time.

As for alpha state - to my mind there are still a lot of obviously janky things about OpenSim.  Toni has mentioned some
of the internal ugliness.  Also, OpenSim still crashes with ODE issues under some circumstances, the commands are
inconsistent and incomplete, etc.  I feel that these issues need to be addressed before one would want to raise
expectations.

On 22/09/11 21:48, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2011, at 8:20 PM, Pi And Company wrote:
>> Maybe a distro. of OS that has FloatSam Groups, Economy, Profiles, Search, WiFi, and other mod. already built in/ready
>> to go.
>
> Well anyone, for example you, is free to make a distro. And, as the other reply already pointed out, there are already
> existing ones such as Diva.
>
> Just to mention that it's up to you if you want it, not necessarily someone else's (e.g. Justin's) job (I think he's
> responsible for loads already, and also Mel and Diva have their things).
>> Jason
>
> ~Toni
>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM, <bo at s-grid.net <mailto:bo at s-grid.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Please,
>>     do not discourage the devs from doing good work during the release process.
>>     It has nothing to do with project status.
>>
>>     Thank you, Bo
>>
>>     On Thursday 22 of September 2011 16:12:59 Mike Chase wrote:
>>     > On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 15:33 +0200, Melanie wrote:
>>     > > Hi,
>>     > >
>>     > > at this time we are refactoring and consolidating and fixing bugs.
>>     > > Enhancements will almost always be in modules and fully optional, so
>>     > > using OpenSim as a basis for something else is viable.
>>     > >
>>     > > Melanie
>>     >
>>     > So, I have to ask.. This sounds like maintenance. If so why is the
>>     > project still considered Alpha?
>>     >
>>     > Mike
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > Opensim-dev mailing list
>>     > Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de <mailto:Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de>
>>

>> --
>> The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and intended solely for the individual or
>> entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this message in error, please delete this message from your
>> system and notify the sender immediately.

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog
http://twitter.com/justincc