[Opensim-dev] Opensim: Linux vs. Windows

bo at s-grid.net bo at s-grid.net
Fri Sep 16 13:52:56 UTC 2011

Hello,
i agree that what matters is ability of your staff to maintain the OS rather
than  OS it self.

But maybe there can be a factor speaking for Linux - availability of a good
MONITORING FACILITY.

I think that it is not good enough to have a sim run 60 days, your sim must
automatically reboot in case of troubles!

We have very good experiences with Monit:
http://coyled.com/2010/07/07/monit-and-opensim/
in this area. It is able to restart sim in case of many troubles like is
crash, 0 FPS error, too much memory used or enormous CPU usage.

Additionally i think that it is good to restart (issue shutdown command on
console) the sim every 2 days to get rid all memory leaks or other performance
thiefs.

I am not sure if there is similar monitoring facility available for Windows.

Bo