[Opensim-dev] Opensim: Linux vs. Windows

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:27:07 UTC 2011

It is not as simple "this one works and this one doesn't"! The question
is far more complex than that and the parameters change over time.

If you have never read it, I highly recommend the classic article "Linux
is NOT Windows" http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

It is intended for people who are migrating their desktop from Windows
to Linux, but the comparisons and particularly the "cultural" issues are
the same for everyone.

Fortunately OpenSImulator is portable so picking the "right one"from the
start is not critical. You can migrate from one to another although
there is enough work that you would likely want to do it as part of a
new version rollout.

Many grids (e.g. OSG) run a mix with some regions running Windows, some
Linux, and some Macs.

Karen