[Opensim-dev] DisplayNames

Mimetic Core core at odosys.net
Mon Oct 17 05:46:32 UTC 2011

i agree with Chris' approach - it's no different than the 'no
facelights' option.  they bother some common users but are quite useful
in machinima and virtual photography.  it's the responsibility of the
grid operator(s) to enable/disable popular features.

also, not everyone is confused or frustrated by display names and not
everyone abuses them.  they definitely have a function and a place, even
in OpenSim (eventually).  keep in mind, we're using SL as a reference
point here... the rest of that thought should be self-explanatory ;)

more valuable than a personal opinion about a feature would be some sort
of documentation illustrating any caveats users/administrators should be
made aware of in the interest of community education.

- Core/Jason