[Opensim-dev] Region module project for addition to forge

Kevin Houlihan kjhoulihan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 12:39:50 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I signed up a project for addition to the opensim forge a few weeks ago, but
I haven't received any feedback on it. BlueWall and Nebadon suggested that I
send a message about it to the list...

The project is a region module which adds attachments based on specified
assets to avatars arriving in the region. It can optionally also prevent the
avatar from removing the attachment. Other options include requesting
permission to modify the avatar's attachments, and to kick the avatar if
they deny that permission or don't respond within a timeout. The module can
also be extended to perform the attachment or not depending on who the
avatar is (attaching certain things to "guests" and other things to
"subscribers", say).

The idea was really to allow a grid owner to add grid-wide branding or UI
through HUD attachments, but I'm sure there are probably other uses.

I'm not sure if there's a policy about what can be included in the forge,
but maybe I didn't get feedback because this violates it? I can understand
that people might be sensitive about a region modifying their avatar if it
were to be run on one attached to OSG or another open grid...

--
randomhuman