[Opensim-dev] Updating attachment assets

Oren Hurvitz orenh at kitely.com
Mon Oct 3 06:54:04 UTC 2011

Thanks for that info! Indeed it's unsafe to delete assets in the scenario
that I've described. It looks like it's not safe to delete assets at all
(except for trivial assets such as map tiles) unless we add some form of
reference-counting or garbage collection, since any asset might be in use in
other peoples' inventories, or in a prim in some other region.

Suppose I want to implement garbage collection of unused assets. I would
need to find which assets are in use anywhere. Would the following procedure
be sufficient? :

1. Find all the assets in the inventories of all the users
2. Find all the assets in the inventories of all the prims
3. Parse each asset to find if the asset itself points to other assets (use
UuidGatherer)

Is there any other place that uses assets?

Oren