[Opensim-dev] Using ssl in OpenSim

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:41:30 UTC 2011

Following up on this thread, I'm looking into SSL for opensim to increase
username and password security, but I'm pretty novice at server
administration in general so I'm not sure I understand enough to even ask
the right questions.

Our Opensim 0.7.2 install is running in grid mode on Windows Server
2008/IIS.  I've found information about installing the security certificate
and I think I generally understand what to do there, but I just want to
make sure I understand the process and how it works before I go through the
process of requesting a cert from our InfoSec department.

Reading the information in the thread below, I have a couple of questions:

1)  Is it possible to have Diva's wifi account creation process done
through https if I follow these steps?  It's the usernames and passwords
I'm most concerned about.

2)  Is this only for remote admin applications or does this encrypt all
traffic between the viewer and the server too?

Sorry if these are stupid questions and many thanks in advance if anyone
has more information or can explain Opensim SSL for Dummies style.  ;)

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive