[Opensim-dev] Supporting shell environment variables

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 22:54:53 UTC 2011

Hi BlueWall.  Nice work.  I do have some comments

* Will this work with all config sections, not just Environment? (e.g. ${DataService|ConnectionString}

* Wouldn't it be more natural to use . as the separator rather than | (e.g. ${DatabaseService.ConnectionString}?

* What happens now if somebody actually wants to use a literal ${<something>} string?  Is the $ escapable?

* Is the [Environment] section really necessary with explicit imports (which look pretty hacky)?  Wouldn't it be simpler
to implicitly create an [Environment] section?  I feel this is more along the approach taken by other languages/systems
which make the whole Environment space available.

On 22/11/11 23:34, BlueWall wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> About a year ago, I was working on the Fortis-OpenSim project and had started digging into the configuration system a
> bit. One of the things I wanted to to was provide the means to interact with shell environment variables during the
> configuration. So, I studied the insides of Nini and added support for the environment variables in a way that lets it
> deal with the shell environment like already interacts with ini/xml/registry configuration media. I tried contacting the
> Nini author to ask if they would incorporate the changes into their distribution, but Nini development has been dormant
> for some time and I never got a response.
>
> A few days ago, I had a conversation in IRC about environment variable support and decided to look at putting it into
> OpenSim. And today I was able to use the modified Nini to get it working. I have done some testing here and it works
> well. I want to push this to core, but I wanted to discuss the forking of Nini. How does everyone feel about that? I
> think having the ability to manipulate shell variables is pretty good for us, and seeing that the Nini development has
> been dormant so long it shouldn't be as much of an issue. If development starts back up on it, then I'm pretty sure we
> could get the changes into the distributed version.
>
> Thanks!
> BlueWall
>
> PS: for reference - http://pastebin.com/f3R0sk5N

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)