[Opensim-dev] The case for greater than 1024x1024 pixel textures.

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 05:24:28 UTC 2011

I dont believe OpenSimulator restricts texture sizes; these restrictions
are in the uploader in the viewer. There are good reasons for the limits:
oversize textures decrease OpenGL performance dramatically and too many
large textures will quickly drop frame rates to the point where the
application is unusable. Too many unique textures will have similar
effects. If you really need large areas to have higher definition, try
segmenting your large textures and make the area of several prims. This may
actually be a better solution as the viewer will only have to display high
resolution for the prims near the camera and can use a lower resolution
(mipmap) for prims further away.

As far as the avatar goes, the baking process produces textures that are
512x512 for most avatar parts with I believe one exception, the eyes are
256x256. Higher resolution textures for skins and non-prim clothing will be
reduced.