[Opensim-dev] Region - Estate Maps and Estate Names

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:49:02 UTC 2011

On 22/03/11 13:50, Ai Austin wrote:
> Hi Justin, I see you making commits to 0.7.1 dev master related to making the setting up of new regions and the mapping
> to Estates easier.
>
> I just looked at our core data base and I can see 18 regions in that and 18 estates numbered 100 to 1017.. all with
> Estate name "My Estate". Will this be typical. I did think I had added all regions to ONE estate and left that with the
> default name of My Estate.. but obviously that's not the way it worked.

Yes, I think it was confusing.  Hopefully it's a bit clearer what is going on now.

> Will there be confusion with the new prompts if we have 18 "My Estate" named estates? (and maybe in some grids thousands)?

With the new prompts, if you set up a new region and want to join it to an existing estate, then you'll appear to be
offered 18 name choices all with "My Estate".  If you pick "My Estate" then it will join it to the first one.

If you set up a new region and want to put it in its own estate, you'll no longer be able to create a new region with
the "My Estate" name, you'll need to select another name.

Estates are maintained region side, so the only name options you see will be those that you have set up locally.

> Would you anyway recommend that I manually rename the estates and remap the regions to the ones intended? Or is it all
> best left alone?

If you've not noticed an issue so far then I recommend leaving it alone.  Remapping should just be case of changing the
entries in the estate_map table.  Eventually I would hope to see a console command for doing this.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog