[Opensim-dev] BulletSim added to OpenSimulator repository

Adams, Robert robert.adams at intel.com
Tue Jun 21 00:36:35 UTC 2011

A new branch ('bulletsim') has been added to the OpenSimulator repository. The branch contains BulletSim - a port of the latest Bullet physics engine for OpenSimulator.  Initial tests show that the Bullet physics engine simulates more physical objects and supports more avatars than ODE. For instance, 1900 balls in a Galton box as opposed to 800 balls with ODE (running at simulator 30 FPS).

BulletSim currently provides the basic functionality necessary for most simulations (avatar walking and flying, interaction of physical prims and collision events). We would like to bring BulletSim up to the level where it is at least functionally equivalent to ODE.

BulletSim consists of two parts: "BulletSPlugin" which is the C# module that interfaces to OpenSimulator (set 'physics = "BulletSim"' in the ini file). The other part is "BulletSim.dll" which is C++ code for the low level interface to the Bullet physics engine. The C++ code has been built and tested with Visual Studio for both 32 and 64 bit systems. What is desperately missing is the build scripts to compile and link this BulletSim module on Linux/Mono systems.

While BulletSim has the basic functionality, there are many things to be finished. As mentioned above, the most important is building and testing on Linux/Mono. Other items:
-- Fix folding up feet
-- Complete coding and debugging of linksets (partially implemented)
-- Improve marshaling (could be made much more efficient with pinned memory blocks)
-- Scale avatar capsule as avatar size is changed
There is a more complete list at the beginning of BSScene.cs.

I ("radams1") am usually on #opensim-dev during the day (PDT). I am continuing development of BulletSim but, if anyone wants to help, feel free to jump in.

-- Robert Adams,  Intel Labs