[Opensim-dev] Departing from virtual world development

John Hurliman jhurliman at jhurliman.org
Fri Jan 14 00:28:36 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm sad to announce that I've decided to leave my position at Intel
and the virtual world development sphere. This is my last official
week, although I will be tying up development ends in the open source
virtual world arena for a bit longer.

2011 marks my fifth year working on virtual worlds, from the beginning
of libsecondlife/libopenmetaverse to the current OpenSim and
SimianGrid development. Things have come a long way from reverse
engineering the terrain packet encoding, and we now have a
decentralized network of worlds and a protocol to link them together.

My departure is the beginning of a new adventure into machine learning
with an early stage startup. This endeavor is a full-time commitment
and won't leave me enough time to contribute to
OpenSim/SimianGrid/libOpenMetaverse/Fortis/Aurora/VWRAP in any
substantive way. Although I'm transitioning into a different area of
technology, I'm still interested in the progress of the open metaverse
and keeping in contact with everyone, and can be reached any time at
this e-mail.

On a related note, Intel's Virtual Worlds Infrastructure team is
looking for a software researcher. Working with the VWI team has been
great; I can't say enough good things about being a member of the team
and advancing research in the virtual worlds and distributed computing
field. Ping Mic Bowman if you are interested in working in the field
in a research capacity.

I am going to miss working with all of you, and I wish the best of
luck to everyone in this area. I'll pop into IRC periodically to say
hello.

Best,
John