[Opensim-dev] [SIMIAN MAPTILE] - generalize to a core function?

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 11:24:47 UTC 2011

From: Mic Bowman <cmickeyb at gmail.com>
>Yeah... I think that module could easily be used for other map services
>right now. It is labeled as part of Simian because the SGF needs it.
>However, you cold enable it, set a new URL, and pump map images wherever you
>want.
>
>How would you recommend it be generalized?

I just had in mind that it would store map tiles to a nominated
location locally in the formats required for the Viewer 2 map to work
and that a change to the HTTP basic built in server would be made to
serve those appropriately if it was enabled.. so that no external
service would be required. But the same setup would also work where
an external map serving web server was utilized.

If the module did this it might usefully be renamed as [MAPTILE] or
[WEB MAPTILE] perhaps to indicate it would work with any services
both Robust and Simian?