[Opensim-dev] Capabilities

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Fri Apr 29 21:55:42 UTC 2011

On Apr 30, 2011, at 12:37 AM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> It might be good to separate out generic capabilities code from Linden specifics in case some other environment uses them in the future.  However, this is speculative.

My understanding was like Melanie's, that CAPS are a somewhat generic thing and not specific to the Linden model. Just a way to get access to things with one time URLs. AFAIK a key to many things in the VWRAP drafts?

For example, when we added Mumble VOIP to reX, and we needed some way for the sim to tell what Mumble server is designated for that place, CAPS came to mind as an option (I had finally learned what they are, after 2-3 years of hearing rumours :), and that's how Matti K. ended up implementing it then:

http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Current_Mumble_Server_Info_Delivery_Mechanism
Client do http get request to 'mumble_server_info' caps url and get response with following headers:
Mumble-Server, Mumble-Version, Mumble-Channel, Mumble-User, Mumble-Password, Mumble-AvatarId, Mumble-ContextId
(BTW Matti K. later talked with the other ppl who also worked with mumble later, and the plan is/was to switch to their more developed impl for making opensim give mumble info -- that simple impl documented there was basically whipped together in an afternoon iirc).

I don't see anything Linden specific about that.

That said, I've no idea about the server side code for that in Opensim, dunno what these refactorings would actually mean. Just echoing the view that the idea at least seems generic.

~Toni