[Opensim-dev] Opensim Loopback Requirements

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Sat Sep 4 17:16:06 UTC 2010

VNC, in particular, has an alternative mode of operation that avoids the
loopback issues altogether; maybe you were using that when you tested.
More importantly, most client-server applications -- like VNC for
example -- use only TCP connections. OpenSim uses both TCP and UDP.

Additionally, the Linden viewer receives capability URLs from the
servers. These are opaque URLs generated from the configuration
variables in the regions' ini file that must literally match certain
comparisons that the viewer performs, and if those comparisons fail, the
viewer refuses to connect.

UDP and capability URLs are the two things that make OpenSim networking
more complicated than most C/S apps.

I'm yet to encounter a network that I can't configure to run OpenSim,
but that is not to say that there aren't some out there, especially if
the routers don't do good on UDP.