[Opensim-dev] Opensim Loopback Requirements

Mike Loveridge loveridgem at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 15:05:37 UTC 2010

Hi to anyone that works on the network communications between client &
server,

I worked for months trying to get my pfSense router to work with opensim.  I
worked with pfSense to have them verify that loopback was indeed enabled and
that loopback rules were being created.  We verified that other
client/server applications were now working, for example, VNC.  I went
though many things with the OSGrid people as well and got feedback from both
the opensim users and developers, and yet, nothing worked.

I finally resorted to buying a Linksys router that runs DD-WRT and got it to
work.  This proves that it was the router all along as I had suspected.
However, the router was doing its job.  I really regret having to leave the
pfSense router solution since it provides more services that a consumer
router.  Fortunately, pfSense and DD-WRT are very similar.

My point, question, or statement here is, was this really necessary?  What
makes opensim so much more complicated that normal loopback won't work?  Why
do other client/server apps work when they are both behind the same router?
It's hard for me to think that opensim is a far more "special case" of a
client/server setup that is using the same router.  It seems opensim must be
doing something more complicated than is necessary.  In fact, to the point
that NAT loopback working for others doesn't work for opensim.

Does anyone have an explanation that would help me understand what the
difference is or is this something that eventually needs to get addressed in
opensim network communications?

Thanks,
Mike