[Opensim-dev] Global identifiers

Robert G. Jakabosky bobby at sharedrealm.com
Thu Sep 2 23:38:50 UTC 2010

On Thursday 02, Karen Palen wrote:
> More to the point there is simply no way to determine which of two versions
> of the object (or whatever) are the genuine "original".
>
> This is an exact analog of web site images today there are all kinds of
> schemes which will detect the casual or inadvertent copying, but nothing
> which cannot be defeated. thepiratebay.org provides endless examples of
> this!
>
> Karen

You are talking about copy detection (where the original creator's name has
been remove/changed) which is as you say is hard to do since it is too easy
to defeat.

I was talking about detecting modifications done by someone other then the
original creator.  Signing the prim would only stop someone from
making/changing a prim/notecard and setting the creator to someone else.
With public/private keys only the true creator can sign new/changed prims.

There was a case in SL where someone used a full-perm notecard created by a
well known content creator and replaced the contents, then distributed that
new notecard to a lots of people to make it look like the original creator
was saying the things in the notecard.  People can use this to grief another
user.

--
Robert G. Jakabosky