[Opensim-dev] Srikata ClientView, any users?

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sat Oct 2 07:51:29 UTC 2010

On pe, 2010-10-01 at 19:13 -0700, Dahlia Trimble wrote:
> Perhaps either the HTTP or IRC stacks would be sufficient as a
> skeleton example.

I've sometimes read the IRC stack to see an example, and it did indeed
seem useful for that purpose.

AFAIK the sirikata one is just stubs, but the MXP one was implemented to
do some basics .. against the MXP client side impls in the reference
implementation and in Idealist. Things have been quiet in the MXP land
though for a long time now, haven't heard anything in months.

Within RealXtend we are currently working on two experimental protocol
implementations -- one using the Kristalli UDP protocol (kNet, similar
to eNet but has some advantages) and then a websocket protocol. Both
experiments are now done as Naali server modules, for different reasons:
The Kristalli one because it is more straightforward to do the generic
Entity-Component attribute sync when both client and the server run the
same code (the component implementations). The simple websocket one we
tried also against the c# websocket server stack in SimianSim, but it
wasn't complete enough to even respond to the handshake so that a
webbrowser can actually connect, so we ended up using an existing
working websocket server impl from the Python eventlet library and run
that in a Naali py module which is quick to develop. The focus in the
websockets work is to get to test basics on the client side with webgl
and that's going ok, we sync av movements and see a collada scene using
GLGE (but it's currently slow for more complex scenes, we're
investigating that). Either of these protocols: the new rex protocol on
Kristalli UDP, and a protocol on websockets (now we just send json
messages there), are possible to add as new clientstacks in OpenSim
later .. if the experiments show that the protocols and clients are
useful, and having OpenSim as the server for those is useful.

The Sirikata architecture is interesting, and we try to keep track of
their webgl client etc. work that uses that ObjectHost architecture, but
we still don't know that too well, haven't used it for anything. If
having Sirikata support in OpenSim is made later, the old stub is of
course still in the repository even if it is removed from current.
Perhaps having a pointer to it in the wiki or somewhere would be good if
there's something useful in the code to ease googling .. I guess people
don't find removed code too easily otherwise.

~Toni