[Opensim-dev] config changes for HG

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Tue Nov 30 16:43:58 UTC 2010

On 11/30/2010 7:43 AM, Diva Canto wrote:
> The -profile option in save archives is available to all, though.
> There are no configs there, the value comes as an argument to the
> console command.

BTW, this touches on an important point of the design of this feature
which is not entirely working yet, but the broad strokes are there.
People can create content (entire regions, inventory) using their own
standalone simulators that aren't connected to anything. Then they can
archive that content using a profile URL corresponding to one of their
more permanent public accounts, even one that is unrelated to OpenSim,
instead of being stuck to the specific simulator where the content was
created.

For example, I can create an archive like this:
$ save oar -profile=http://graph.facebook.com/ -<localid>=crista.lopes ...

Whoever imports my archive will see my objects as having been created by
crista.lopes @ facebook.com. It is then possible to add a profile module
to OpenSim that interprets the facebook profile information.

Or even...
$ save oar -profile=http://world.secondlife.com/resident/
-<localid>=5a4e4397-ff83-4030-97f4-10c9f2a07292

This one will allow us to reach SL profiles.

(This doesn't work yet, but that's where it's going)