[Opensim-dev] missing LSL functions, events

w f wm_fry at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 13:56:17 UTC 2010

I see (as listed on the http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status page) that LSL
events attach, changed, http_response, moving_end, moving_start, and remote_data
are either not implemented or only partially implemented. Additionally, it's
noted that there are a few LSL functions unimplemented. I was wondering ... if
one was (happily) willing to abandon LSL , could the underlying events and
functions be accessed via C#?

I'm trying to understand the pieces here ...
Does Xengine provide OpenSim with only LSL functionality or does it enable all
scripting (LSL, C#, VB.Net, JScript.Net, Yield Prolog)? Does C# (or any of the
other languages save LSL) have a special "in" to OpenSim for which LSL is just
an abstraction layer?

Consider this: I would think OpenSim generates some kind movement related event
or events. Not unlike separate key-down/key-up events being tracked and then
molded into a third event - key-press - I would assume something similar is
happening within OpenSim, that these internal happenings eventually bubble up
into a single LSL moving_start event. Does C# (or other supported language) have
such deep access to OpenSim thereby allowing me to craft my own "moving start"
event (handler)?

I would switch from Second Life to OpenSim/OSGrid immediately if I knew there
was some way to fully replicate Second Life script functionality. (Emphasis on
functionality; it does *not* have to be copy/paste of LSL.) I don't care if I
have to rewrite everything in C# (or, shudder, VB.Net). Six years in Second Life
- and now supporting a higher-ed institution's use - has left me with *quite a
lot* of scripted objects. Before I migrate everything, I'd like to know it's
possible.

Thanks!
- Liam