[Opensim-dev] [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 24 23:51:23 UTC 2010

On 24/11/10 13:00, CJ Davies wrote:
> I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS
> environment) & presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the simulation (e.g. a light
> turning on in the real world is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?
> I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I
> presume there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?

As the other responses have indicated, I don't think there's yet a a ready-baked solution for this but rather a number
of different approaches which each have their pros and cons (using llHTTPResponse, communicating via script with a
backend region module via modSendCommand(), adding new OSSL functions).

I'll also add the approach of using a region module to directly create/move/delete scene objects without any LSL/OSSL
scripting.  This has both disadvantages (can't be transferred to SL, written in C#, poor OpenSim internals/module
documentation) but also advantages (no need to shuttle state between scripts and a backend module, no need to
co-ordinate scripts running on multiple threads, direct access to all OpenSim functionality, easier automated testing, etc.)

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org