[Opensim-dev] Clarification on Licencing and Moving Forward as a Community

Robert A. Knop Jr. rknop at pobox.com
Tue Nov 2 02:51:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 05:46:47PM -0700, Serendipity Seraph wrote:

> From what I understand of GPL the lawyer is being much too over
> cautious on the GPL viewer part.  It isn't so viral that just having
> studied GPLed code makes one bound to GPL.  That would defeat much of
> the purpose of free software.  IANAL but that part is nearly MS level
> FUD.

Lawyers are paid to be maximally paranoid.  Society has become very
cautious about doing anything nowadays because there have been lawsuits,
and if you get legal advice you're generally told told to restrict your
activities tremendously out of fear of liability.  It's just how reality
is nowadays.  It's very sad.

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    rknop at pobox.com