[Opensim-dev] Clarification on Licencing and Moving Forward as a Community

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 19:57:58 UTC 2010

There has been a number of blog posts and descriptions recently of
developments of OpenSim that seek to extend and solidify some of the
results of the core developments.  This is great.  Diversity and
rapid cycles of innovation is what a vibrant development community
needs.  But we need to encourage some of the very best results of
these efforts do find their way back to core and shared developments
that benefit all.

Reading the blog entries of these developments, it seems that a big
issue is our lack of clarity of the policy on excluding those who
have also been involved in developments of the viewers under the
previously restrictive licence terms, and a clear mechanism for
extending OpenSim beyond core modules t0 those things essential to
make a useful environment.

A few examples include:
      http://sanctuary.psmxy.org/2010/10/31/18/introducing-aurora/
      http://github.com/openmetaversefoundation/fortis-opensim
      http://www.meta7.com/

The recent move of the Linden labs viewer licence to Lesser GPL is
critical and completely removes the need to be restrictive on that
score.  For over 20 years all developments in my group have been
Lesser GPL to encourage really widespread and unrestricted take up of
the results.

Can I suggest that

a) The Dev group now discuss this and immediately declare that the
previous restriction on excluding developers who have seen LL viewer
source code is removed due to the LGPL licence now in effect.

b) That we adopt an approach that encourages inputs of elements and
usability extensions (via optional modules) that are under LGPL or a
suitable Creative Commons Licence.