[Opensim-dev] Is Sqlite expected to work in 0.7 RC?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 23:19:18 UTC 2010

On 18/06/10 17:42, Diva Canto wrote:
> SQlite and Mac don't go together. Mono in Mac has some issues that makes
> SQLite bomb.
>
> Having said that, Justin has gone out of his way to try to make the this
> less of a problem, with that SQLiteLegacy dll that you seem to be using.
> The problem, though, is that that dll doesn't use XInventory, so the
> pre-existing configurations won't work. One more thing to fix, I guess.
>
> But, really, even with the right configuration I haven't been able to
> run this combo successfully on my Mac. After you pass the inventory
> issue, you are going to run into problems with the region settings table.

There's also explanation of this problem in the OpenSim.ini.example file.  It's very unfortunate, and appears to be because Mac OSX ships a version of the sqlite3 library which doesn't export certain symbols, causing Mono's sqlite driver to fail with some non-obvious exceptions.  In theory, there is a way to force Mono to use the sqlite-3.6.21.so that we ship with but the required Mono functionality wasn't implemented the last time I looked (hence our shipping of the .so is actually pointless and it should probably be removed).

If anybody can prove me wrong I'd be very pleased since I only glean this information from mailing list posts.

It might be possible to attack the problem by trying the native c# sqlite implementation at http://code.google.com/p/csharp-sqlite/.  It might be as simple as just replacing the driver and then it might be more complicated.  I haven't had the will to try yet after wrestling mono/sqlite too long last time.  Again, if anybody wants to try this I would be most indebted.

> On 6/18/2010 8:50 AM, LS Tinker wrote:
>> Not sure what to say. I removed *everything* relating to OpenSim on my
>> system. I did not have any old ini files, or old data files or old
>> anything. The only OpenSim files on my system were from the 0.7 RC
>> download.
>>
>> Has anyone else succeeded with an Mac-Mono-SQLite installation of 0.7
>> from scratch? More generally, what is the status of SQLite,
>> particularly under Mono, and specifically with respect to Mono on the Mac?
>>
>> ======
>>
>> Looks like you tried to reuse an older ini file. they have changed
>> too much to realistically do that.
>> Start with the example and bring in your own changes, instead of
>> trying to bring core changes into your file.
>>
>> Melanie
>>
>> LS Tinker wrote:
>> > I have not tried running SQLite for quite a while, and it looks like
>> I am
>> > missing something in the configuration, but I cannot locate it.
>> >

>> --
>> Tinker : lovejoysim.com <http://lovejoysim.com> : We ran away from the
>> circus to be accountants

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)