[Opensim-dev] Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:52:04 UTC 2010

>Melanie on 2010-07-27 wrote:
>the current Freeswitch module is deprecated....
>
>Justin CC on 2010-07-27 wrote:
>I understand the deprecation but I trust that we will not remove
>this module until a replacement exists.  The current
>module appears to work (at least to some extent) and people are
>actively using it.
>
>This deprecation needs to be recorded somewhere, possibly
>OpenSim.ini.example.  This is the first that I've heard of it
>and I can't locate a written record.

Ah okay... news to me too.. did not spot that on opensim-dev or
opensim-users.  It works fine in fact and its in widespread use on
live grids.  We just got our Freeswitch services going with a bit of
concentrated effort and help from other Opensim Freeswitch users
after resolving a number of issues mostly through confusing or
limited context configuration instructions.

So, the question is what is to be the voice solution or solutions
that can be recommended for Opensim and that we might be able to use
in future, as voice is clearly an essential feature?

I know others have set up Vivox which provides high causality voice
facilities... but I have not investigated what the costs would be, or
more realistically for man Opensim community userrs, if there is a
non-commercial offering that can be used via Vivox?

I wonder if another open source and high quality voice solution
should be the bass from people's experience?  opensim-users may be
the better place to discuss that as the user base there might be
wider than opensim-dev... hence also posted to that list. Suggest a
rely to users only please as most dev folks see users too.