[Opensim-dev] OpenSim - What's Taking so long

Michael Cerquoni nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 13:31:15 UTC 2010

Mark you basiclly just repeated everything that was already said, and not
only that your going to call people stupid?? i find that uncalled for
honestly and not constructive to this topic.  Dahlia a lot of people are
being paid to contribute code, Melanie and Justin for example, everyone who
works for IBM and Intel, you can not call these people volunteers, as they
are being paid salaries to develop opensimulator, as well as others like
Strawberry and everyone from ReactionGrid,  also Stefan and MW with Tribal
Media (the original creators of OpenSimulator) as well as Realxtend's entire
paid staff.   I really can not agree that OpenSimulator was developed on
free Contributions alone, quite the contrary to say this.   This being a
open project i feel that anyone can take any path they desire to contribute
to this project, and if someone wants to pay bounties to a programmer or
programmers to get certain tasks accomplished we can not stop them from
doing so, you can not expect people to spread the money around to everyone
how is that even fair how could we possibly even establish who gets what,
this really does not make sense to me to even suggest this.  I do agree that
if people are going to take this route they need to act responsibly, be
totally open with what they are doing, and if a new programmer comes into
the fold who is being paid, does that mean we should just reject everything
they do because they are being paid, if we took this path OpenSimulator
would still be in the dark ages and 1/2 our code base would not even
exist.   Not to mention without monetary contributions OSgrid would not
exist and a large majority of the testing that gets done for OpenSimulator
would not have happened, so I ask where would OpenSimulator be without
monetary contributions to help development along, my answer is this project
would not exist without them.