[Opensim-dev] OpenSim - What's Taking so long

Mark Malewski mark.malewski at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 07:42:10 UTC 2010

*> if your paying people to create patches that wont *
*> be accepted into core this could create problems *
*> for the fund raisers in the end.*

I completely agree.  If you're going to beat your drum, and try to conjur up
money, then at least screw your head on straight and try to get a grasp on
what it is that you're trying to accomplish.

You may want to turn OpenSim into a wonderful gaming engine, with some of
the best graphics in the world.  That's great, and I'd love to see it as
well, but what will end up getting accepted into core is a totally different
subject.  Much of your work could just end up being wasted and useless.

There are several different major distributions out there already
(realXtend, SciSim, OSGrid, Diva distribution, etc.).

Sit down, think about what distribution it is that you use the most, and
then figure out what you want fixed or added, and then begin to solicit help
from the dev's, or simply open up a discussion here on the list, and see if
what you are asking to do can even be done.

Then ask for a quote as to how much it would cost to have it done (approx
man hours x hourly rate) or possibly a flat fee for the job, and then go
conjur up your financial support (to cover the costs of that work) and just
make sure before you do something that it's discussed thoroughly in the
threads, so that the core dev's know what it is that you're trying to do,
and whether or not it will even get accepted into core.

Then try to hire someone from core to do the work for you, because that's
your best chance of it getting put into core.  ;-)