[Opensim-dev] User services refactoring status

Mic Bowman cmickeyb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:43:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:11 AM, <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:

> Ad-nausum protocol discussions: I've been in those meetings before. Not
> here, and not anymore. Since reflection came into mainstream PLs, you
> can now avoid those discussions by adding a meta-level, and that's what
> happened here :)

Ad-nauseum discussions are a function of how a meeting is run. You can have
well thought out, consensus-based protocol discussions that are very
productive and very focused. Likewise... reflection can be used to simplify
experimentation/extension or it can be used for lazy programming. The tools
matter far less than the people who run them.

In this case, one of the barriers we feel to productive public discussion
(and probably documentation) about long-term, stable interfaces is a lack of
belief that the discussion will matter in a substantial way to what gets
coded. That is, if we went off & built the php/apache interfaces, we would
have no influence over changes in the core & would therefore be completely
subject to any decisions core makes. (Feels like taxation without
representation or something like that... :-)

So... You say that we can go off & build what we want... but that's only
cost-effective if we fork or freeze (or wait)...

--mic