[Opensim-dev] User services refactoring status

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:31:44 UTC 2010

diva at metaverseink.com wrote:

> ETA on merging this with master branch is next weekend. I think we're on
> track to have OpenSim 0.7 sometime in January. This will also allow us
> to start taking security seriously right after 0.7 is tagged.

Thanks for the update. Diva.  I would like to see at least a 2 week gap after the work is in master
before creating a 0.7.0-post-fixes branch.  As there's going to be some code upheaval shortly
afterwards I think we should try to ensure that 0.7 isn't any worse than our previous releases. This
would mean that actually tagging 0.7 would follow some time after the branch to allow for some
degree of testing.

Could I ask what is being done about the message service?  This is still in its pre-ROBUST form and
I don't think that we can tag 0.7 without converting this service.

> I encourage you to check out the branch and, at least, look through
> OpenSim.Services.Interfaces, which now tell the story quite well. The
> really brave can try it out on test grids/standalones. (Please use test
> grids/DBs only for the time being!) Notice the configuration files which
> now have a lot more in them. NOTE: only works for MySQL at the moment.
>
> This leads me to the asking-for-help part. The DB schema has changed
> substantially. We have been doing this with MySql. We need help to make
> the same changes to SQLite and MSSQL, if these are to be supported from
> here on. I know we can count on StrawberryFride to update the MSSQL
> connector. However, for SQLite... it has been falling through the
> cracks. There is already a show-stopper bug in it that makes the SQLite
> connector not work with mono 2.4.3 and higher
> (http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=4463). Unless someone steps
> in and takes care of the SQLite connector, I'm afraid it will go the way
> of the dinosaurs.

I have a preference for retaining sqlite but unfortunately I don't have the time to fix it up.  If
no one can step up then maybe it has to be put into deep freeze.

Regards,

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org