[Opensim-dev] Suggested in-world DNS: .sim

Tedd Hansen tedd at konge.net
Wed Feb 24 09:09:56 UTC 2010

Hi

pop.domain.us
smtp.domain.co.uk
mail.domain.fr
www.domain.de
ns1.domain.es
sql.domain.com
domain.sim

One doesn't fit. :)
Currently internet is built on a system where TLD's being allocated to
geographic/organizational relation, and subdomains are
server(service)-specific. Even more so as they are considering adding TLD's
for cities as well (to loosen up competition for domain names).

Private networks such as I2P use their own TLD because the service offered
is geographically unknown, doesn't reside on a fixed IP and should *really*
not be resolvable from the internet.

I see a whole lot of misunderstandings, technical difficulties, etc. in
adding it. And no benefits.

BR,
 Tedd